16 August 2012
BENTLEY MOTORS’ NORTH AMERICAN DEBUTS & NEWS AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE
- New Continental GT Speed makes N. American debut
- EXP 9 F luxury SUV displayed on Concept lawn
- Highly prized classic and vintage Bentleys to be auctioned
(Pebble Beach). As California’s Monterey Peninsula is primed for a week of displays and events involving some of the world’s most coveted, historic automobiles, Bentley Motors prepares to share a glimpse into the future with the North American debut of two new models – the Continental GT Speed and the EXP 9 F luxury SUV concept.
“Pebble Beach and the spectacular scenery of the Monterey Peninsula provide the perfect venue for automotive connoisseurs and enthusiasts from around the world to display and celebrate the very best of motoring,” said Christophe Georges, president & COO of Bentley Motors, Inc. “It also serves as an ideal backdrop for Bentley to showcase not only its latest production model, the Continental GT Speed, but also, with the EXP 9 F SUV concept, to provide a glimpse into Bentley’s future.”
Bentley’s fastest ever production model, the 616hp Continental GT Speed, will make its North American debut on the Pebble Beach concept lawn. The Continental GT Speed, Bentley’s performance flagship, is set to enter the market in October, and until then, Pebble Beach spectators will have to imagine its 4.0-second 0-60mph sprint and its 205-mph top speed during the static display.
The muscular, elegantly sculpted coachwork of the Continental coupe is enhanced with subtle design touches that reaffirm its sporting character. Most notable are the dark-tinted matrix front grille and lower air intakes, ‘rifled’ finish to the exhaust tailpipes and unique 21-inch alloy wheels.
For those looking even further into Bentley’s future, EXP 9 F SUV concept makes its North American premiere on the concept lawn of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. EXP 9 F highlights the marque’s desire to build the fastest and most luxurious SUV in the world, and the concept car combines a stunning interior at the pinnacle of craftsmanship and technology with a dramatic and purposeful exterior. With an exciting range of drivetrain options under consideration, any Bentley SUV would offer the thunderous performance for which the marque is renowned.
Pebble Beach is also renowned for its auctions of highly-prized classic and vintage automobiles. Featuring this year at the Pebble Beach auctions is an array of evocative Bentleys, among the most significant in the company’s history as outlined below:Gooding and Company will auction three Bentleys between Saturday, August 18th and Sunday, August 19th –
- 1931 Bentley 4 1/2 Litre SC "Blower" Sports 2/3 Seater Boattail (presale estimate: $8-10 million). More information available here.
- 1928 Bentley 4 1/2 Litre Vanden Plas Le Mans Sports “Bobtail” (presale estimate: $5.5-7.5 million). More information available here.
- 1938 Bentley 4 1/4 Litre Drop Head Coupe (presale estimate $150,000 - $250,000). More information available here.
- 2001 Bentley Speed 8 Le Mans Prototype Racing Car (presale estimate $1,900,000 and $2,500,000). More information available here.
For further information about this press release please contact:
Graeme Russell – Head of PR & Communications
Tel +1 617 488 8518
Mobile +1 248 464 9100
Valentine O’Connor – PR Manager
Tel +1 617 488 8517
Mobile +1 248 613 7438
Notes to editors
1. Bentley Motors is the third largest R&D investor in the UK's automotive sector and the 18th largest nationally. The company employs around 4,000 people in Crewe which is home to all its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury vehicle manufacturers such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley exports over £500m worth of goods every year to established markets like the US, as well as emerging markets such as China and South America.
2. Bentley’s global sales for the first half of 2012 increased by 32% with 3,929 cars delivered to customers and all global regions up on the same period in 2011. The Americas regained their position as Bentley’s largest market, with sales up 25.7% (1,140 cars delivered), but the China region continues to follow closely behind with sales up 55.7% (1,059 cars delivered). Sales in Europe increased by 22.9% (607 cars delivered) and UK sales are also up by 4.5% (557 cars delivered). In the Middle East sales continued to recover with an increase of 47.9% (346 cars delivered). Japan also saw an increase of 114.3% (75 cars delivered) and sales were up 52.6% (145 cars delivered) in the Asia Pacific region.